2023-2024 Youth Concerto Competition
Augusta Symphony and Augusta University Department of Music
- ages 10 – 18 in grades 5th through 12th;
- residing in Georgia or South Carolina;
- who play orchestral instruments including strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, and piano.
There are two divisions of the Youth Concerto Competition:
- Junior Division: students, ages 10 to 13 in 5th through 8th grades
- Senior Division: students, ages 14 to 18 in 9th through 12th grades
- Competitors will perform one movement from an orchestral concerto or piece of their choice.
- Selections MUST be memorized and no more than 10 minutes in length.
- Selections must have a published orchestral accompaniment and be Digital Rights Management (DRM) free.
- Each competitor must provide their own piano accompanist on the day of the competition.
Friday, January 12, 2024
Notification of Selection
Monday, February 5, 2024
Sunday, March 3, 2024
1:00PM – 4:00PM
Augusta University Fine Arts Center – Recital Hall
Prizes will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place in each division. Each 1st place winner will receive a cash prize of $300 and each 2nd place winner will receive $200. Winners may have the opportunity to perform with the Augusta Symphony, under the direction of Maestro Dirk Meyer. Final decisions concerning repertoire performed with the orchestra will be subject to his approval.
Submitting an application for the Youth Concerto Competition
For the 2023-24 season, the entire application process for the Youth Concerto Competition is ONLINE. Interested students must submit:
- a complete online application
- a non-refundable application fee of $50
- a video recording of their submission uploaded to Youtube
Requirements for Video Recording
This year, applicants are required to upload their video recordings to Youtube and share the link to their submission via the online application form. If unfamiliar with Youtube, please refer to this tutorial to assist with the process.
When recording the submission,
- Have applicant slowly and loudly say their name, city and state of residence, and title and composer of their selection. For example: My name is ____________ and I am from _________, Georgia/South Carolina. I will be playing ______________ (movement) by __________).
- Be sure lighting is adequate.
- Have camera frame include applicant’s fingers and face.
- While professional audio and video is not required, please ensure that audio and video quality showcase the applicant’s hard work.
- Note: The video submitted may NOT be of a previous performance, but must be an audition with an accompanist.
When uploading the video submission,
- Include the applicant’s last name and selection title and composer in the Youtube title of the video.
- Note that there are several privacy options in Youtube: public, private, and unlisted. For help in navigating the settings, please read further here. Videos must be either public OR unlisted to be viewed by the selection panel.
- It is recommended that the video is viewed in its entirety on Youtube before submitting it to the competition to check both audio and video.
Contact Community Chords Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org